10 Most Shocking Reasons of House Fire in Canada

The main reason house fire are clearly well known to all- and there are many reasons to avoid them. Here’s what you need to know about the reasons about preventing 10 common hazards.

Cooking equipment

When a pot or pan overheats or splashes grease, it might take seconds to cause a fire. Stay in the kitchen when cooking, especially if using oil or high temperatures; most kitchen fires occur because people get distracted and leave their cooking unattended. Keep combustibles (e.g. oven mitts, dish towels, paper towels) away from heat sources.

Heating Equipment

Have your heater reviewed annually by a professional specialist, and your funnel cleaned and reviewed once a year. Keep moveable stoves at least one meter away from anything that could burn (including curtains, furniture, and you), and don’t use your heaters to dry shoes or clothes. Install a carbon monoxide alarm to alert you to deadly carbon monoxide gas.

Careless Smoking

Make the rest places off-limits to smoking, and manage smokers who may develop sleepy (i.e. on medication, drinking) or forget to turn off their cigarette. Use large, deep ashtrays; never place an ashtray on or near anything that could burn; and check furniture for fallen cigarettes.

Electrical Equipment

Ensure the following:

  • Your electrical appliances don’t have any loose plug visible
  • Your outlets aren’t loaded with plugs
  • You’re have not placed any electrical wire under rugs or heavy furniture

You’re not overusing an extension cord. Be careful about do-it-yourself electrical projects; many home fires are caused by improper installation, so use a licensed electrician.


Keep candles in a strong holder on a level surface, away from flammable materials and out of the reach of children or pets. Blow them out before leaving the room. Do not keep them in the reach of small children, they might play with the fire and it can hurt children, also it can cause fire.

Improper Wiring

Older homes and rooms can have insufficient wiring—a fire and an electrical hazard. Some cautionary signs:

You have to disconnect one appliance to plug in another

You have to use extension cords or “octopus” outlets extensively

Fuses blow or circuit breakers trip frequently

Lights dim when you use another appliance

Flammable Liquids

Flammable liquid, fuels, thinners, cleaning agents, glues, paints, and other raw materials—can burn or explode if stored inappropriately. The fumes can easily ignite from even just high temperatures or weak ignition causes. Don’t store combustible liquids near a heating source but, ideally, outside the home in a cool ventilated area, in approved vessels.

Christmas Trees and Decorations

Keep the tree in a position that it will hold two to three liters of water, and top it up daily. Keep the tree away from all heat sources, including heaters, furnace ducts, television sets and fireplaces. Check fancy lights before placing them on the tree, and abandon any worn-out or damaged lights/cords. Never put candles on or near the Christmas tree.


You might also like More from author

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.